The Speed Queen washer sure had its fair share of challenges in its rich history. The company faced serious customer backlash with the 2017 release of its new products. It took Speed Queen 2 years to go back to the traditional agitator design and to regain their mojo.
Since 1908, Speed Queen has been producing some of the most dependable and high-quality washers and dryers in the world. What sets Speed Queen apart from their competitors is their unwavering focus on the traits that truly make laundry machines great, not unnecessary or flashy features that ultimately result in service calls.
3 reasons why the Speed Queen washer rocks
1. Built better and last longer than their competitors.
2. You can trust the Speed Queen with heavy loads (work clothes, towels, blankets etc.).
3. Offers the best product warranty in the industry.
Meet the New TC5, Traditional Agitator Top Load Speed Queen Washer
Product Place Holder
Why We Like It:
Most of us consider laundry a chore and want to get it over with as soon as possible. Therefore, unlike our other devices such as our beloved smartphone, we prefer not to spend a ton of time learning about our washer and dryer. To be fair, appliance manufacturers do not make it easy for us either. Their jargon such as "inverter direct drive motor" or "active water jet" does not mean much to us. To be honest, I don’t think my family knows what "perm press" means on the various washers we’ve used over the past few decades. We simply want to load our clothes, add the detergent, and hit go.
The new Speed Queen washer TC5000WN is a no-frills washer. It offers 6 simple cycles, 4 temperature selections with options written in plain English "Extra Rinse", "Heavy Soil" or "Pre-Soak".
The traditional full-length agitator drives an aggressive wash action on a tub that you can deep-fill with water right up to the brim. Oh, don’t worry about that stray sock, you can open the lid anytime to add to your wash.
Speed is the key feature for TC5 Speed Queen washer. In this washing machine, your laundry cycle clocks in at under 28 minutes.
Many people ask us about the old mechanical controls on Speed Queens. While the tactile knobs still remain, the board underneath them is electronic. We noticed comments in some review sites with regards to the outstanding reliability of ancient mechnanical controls, however, according to Speed Queen engineering the mechanical controls were one of the chief problem areas in the legacy products.
- Durable traditional, commercial grade clean (710 RPM motor)
- 6 Cycles – Normal, Perm Press, Heavy Duty, Bulky/Sheets, Spin, Delicates
- 4 Wash Temperatures – Cold, Cool, Warm, Hot
- Options – Extra Rinse, Pre-Soak, Heavy Soil
- Ability to use a full tub of water with "Deep-Fill"
- Width: 25 5/8 Inch | Depth: 28 Inch | Height: 42 3/4 Inch | Capacity: 3.2 Cu. Ft.
- Pairs with a gas or electric dryer with automatic moisture sensor
How Does The New TC5 Differ from The Previous Models
In the table below you will find the new TC5 vs the TR5 (which was not a customer favorite).
3.2 cu. ft.
3.2 cu. ft.
Commercial Grade Wash
Commercial Grade Wash
710 RPM Spin
820 RPM Spin
1/2 HP 2 Speed Transmission (i.e. Just 2 Direction Move, Forward and Reverse)
1 HP Variable Speed Inverter
Designed to create wash action through the traditional agitator
Wash action through drum moves
6 Cyles, 4 Temp.
6 Cyles, 4 Temp.
Deep Fill and Auto Fill
Extra Rinse, Pre-Soak
Fast Cycle under 28 min
Stainless Steel Tub
Stainless Steel Tub
All in all, the old TR5 was Speed Queen’s attempt to care for different fabric types by "moving water through the clothes with specialized drum moves" vs the traditional TC5 which uses the power of the agitator to "move clothes through the water" for a classic wash.
Speed Queen Front Load Washers are Back
After a 2 year hiatus, the residential Speed Queen front load washing machines are back on the market.
Speed Queen FF7 / FR7 27-inch Front Load Washer
Product Place Holder
Speed Queen released its residential front loader units in 2 flavors: FF7, the front control and FR7, where the controls are in the rear. Both units come in white. The front control FF7 has also the stainless steel color option.
The new front load washers slightly larger than their previous incarnation at 3.5 cu. ft.
The front load Speed Queen washer and dryer models come with 5-year warranty. The company added OxiClean sanitize option in its products. Also, the new allergy cycles helps remove allergens from clothing.
Product Place Holder
Please note that front control units comes with left hinge only door. The rear control product has two flavors under separate model numbers for left hinge or right hinge.
Speed Queen Washers with the Modern Inverter Motor
Model year 2017 through mid-2019
26" width, 3.2 cu. ft., 3 year warranty, 4 Wash Cycles, Heavy Duty Suspension, Stainless Steel Tub, Auto-fill Option
all of TR3’s features plus 5 year warranty, 6 Cycles
all of TR3’s features plus 7 year warranty, 8 Cycles, Electronic Touch Controls
You will find more on the merits of Speed Queen top load washer dryer in our in depth review of the brand.
This past year, Speed Queen started offering a totally refreshed lineup of high-quality and commercial-level performance washing machines and dryers.
With this line of top-load washers and dryers, Speed Queen promises to offer two things:
(1) The Perfect Wash
Each top-load washer features one-of-a-kind wash technology that not only delivers the best clean in the industry, but also provides premium fabric care that will help your clothes last longer and remain in like-new condition. The auto-fill system is designed to comply with regulations to ensure that each and every load uses exactly the amount of water required for each wash, no more and no less. Meanwhile, the tub and agitator work in tandem to create a gentle yet effective wash action to move the maximum amount of cleansing water through your clothes. It’s important to address a general misconception about autofill. In order to not disappoint its die-heart fans, Speed Queen left the full Tub Wash and Rinse system intact. Rest assured, you can fill the entire tub with water to achieve a soak and a maximum clean during wash or rinse. This is in fact the most important reason why people choose Speed Queen over other brands that feature giant drum sizes yet fail to mention that their tub is not filling up entirely for full water action.
(2) The Perfect Dry
With special dry cycles, unique Axiar Airflow drying patterns and advanced moisture sensing technology, Speed Queen eliminates excessive drying and saves you energy costs. In the latest refresh, Speed Queen has achieved even greater durability and can now guarantee perfectly dried laundry in any given cycle.
So, what else is their lineup packing under the hood? Let’s take a look at some of the most impressive advancements and additions.
- New look and updated control design. Both the knob control mechanics and the touchpad controls have been tested with more than 1 million depressions, ensuring they’ll be responsive for decades to come.
TR3 Mechnanical Contols Featured Below
Please note that you have Small, Medium, Large (full tub fill), as well as autofill in terms of amount of water used for load size. Extra rinse on/off switch also adjust amount of water use during rinse (on for full tub water, off for auto spray).
TR5 Mechnanical Contols Featured Below
Please note the TR5 Controls add "Cool" as temperature selection option, also "Handwash" is added to the cycles in comparison to the TR3 model.
TR7 Electronic Touchpad Featured Below
- Faster spin. At 820RPM, this is the fastest Speed Queen rinse cycle we’ve seen so far, and that means less time spent drying your clothes (older machines were at 700RPM).
- Less noise. Thanks to a new inverter drive motor and fewer moving parts, Speed Queen machines not only operate more quietly, but also last longer and save more energy.
- Customizable autofill feature. With an autofill feature you can toggle on or off, the Speed Queen washer can analyze whether your clothes are fully submerged and adjust water levels accordingly. This helps make each machine Department of Energy-compliant.
- Extensive 7-year warranty. Each machine features a 7-year, bumper-to-bumper warranty as opposed to the 3-year warranty on TR3 models and 5-year warranty on TR5’s.
- New cloth type menus. The new TR7 and DR7 models feature a brand new menu for selecting unique wash and dry cycles for distinct fabric types.
- Control Lock feature on TR7. Now you can lock controls to prevent accidental or unwanted setting changes by other people in your household.
- Improved movement sync. The carefully synced and choreographed movements of both the washer tub and agitator improve wash quality.
- Updated Overdry Protection Technology. This updated feature helps to prevent overdrying clothes, which can lead to shrinkage and excessive wear and tear on fabric.
- Intelligent lid lock feature which allows you to add stray/forgotten pieces of laundry after you start the load. The lid stays unlocked during initial fill so you can add pieces. Lid will lock automatically right before agitation begins.
In addition to the excellent list of new and updated features, here are some of the beloved features making a triumphant return:
- Same high-quality stainless steel inner and outer tub.
- Same ultra-stable suspension system.
- Triple coat painting that resists wear and tear over time.
- Built to last 25 years, or over 10,000 cycles. That means you could use your Speed Queen machine for 20 hours per day, every day of the year for over two decades before it will wear out.
- Protection against extreme moisture, vibration and power surges.
- Electronics tested to perfection and executed in more than 500,000 installations.
- Galvanized steel dryers, as opposed to painted steel used by competitors which often result in decreased durability.
Speed Queen vs. The Competition
Customers who are new to Speed Queen often bring to mind three areas of distinction – volume, product weight, and price. So how does Speed Queen compare in these areas?
Many high-end, front-loading washing machines found in big-box stores offer a flashy 4.2 cubic feet of volume. So why do Speed Queen washers only offer 3.2 cu. ft.? Well, we asked them. And their answer was both surprising and informative. 3.2 cu. ft. is, in fact, the maximum usable capacity for a washing machine—this is why Speed Queen is able to fill their entire tub with water. Other manufacturers with larger volume tubs use only a fraction of their volume, especially if you follow the manufacturer instructions for loading. Plus, cycle times for a thorough clean are faster in Speed Queen washers by an astounding 20 minutes (36-39 minutes in Speed Queen vs. 59 minutes in flashy name-brand machines.)
Essentially, you can do more laundry in a Speed Queen than you can in other, larger machines. Speed Queen washers have been benchmarked at 22 pounds of laundry capability per cycle. This is significantly higher than most competitor products with larger interior volumes.
Speed Queen machines are, on average, 25% heavier than competitors. So why should you consider a heavier machine? Well, it generally comes down to quality. Other brands are lighter, but they also take up a larger footprint. So, what does that tell you about the quality of materials used in their construction? They’re lightweight, cheap, and heavy on plastics. Speed Queen, however, designs products free of lightweight, breakable or plastic parts. They know that their users demand commercial-standard durability and quality, thus the heavier machine weight.
And finally, the #1 most important factor in most customers’ minds – the cost. Speed Queens tend to be priced slightly higher than their comparable competitors. Why is that?
- Each machine uses commercial-grade parts, not lightweight plastics for cheap construction.
- High-quality bearings, load balancing and suspension systems are precisely tuned and built for long-lasting durability and effectiveness.
- Unmatched product warranty right out of the box (3-5 years based on product selection).
- Not all stainless steel tubs are created equally, and Speed Queen uses the absolute upper echelon of stainless steel materials and construction to create a corrosion-resistant tub. It’s no wonder they offer a lifetime guarantee on their operation.
The latest upgrades Speed Queen has released can be summed up succinctly: everything you already love, even better. The engineers at Speed Queen have truly looked at each machine from every angle, analyzing how they could take their already industry-leading features and designs and make them even more powerful, durable, and user-friendly. That’s what Speed Queen is truly all about.
The new lineup of models have been given shortened model numbers for simplicity. Leave it to Speed Queen to make even their model names more user-friendly. Here are the updated model identifiers:
Washers: TR3 replaced AWN432SP, TR5 replaced AWNE82SP, and TR7 replaced AWNE92SP
Dryers: DR3 replaced ADE3SRGS / ADG3SRGS, DR5 replaced ADEE8RGS / ADGE8RGS, AND DR7 replaced ADEE9RGS / ADGE9RGS (Available in gas or electric variations)
What is the top question we get from people who need washing machine service?
"How do I reset my Speed Queen washer?" is by far the most frequently asked question from our customer base in terms of service calls. Our answer is super simple. Just unplug the washer, wait 60 seconds, and plug it back in.
Do Speed Queen Dryers have a moisture sensor?
Yes. Speed Queen dryers are able to sense moisture content and adjust drying time to prevent excessive drying (aka more wear and tear on fabrics).